Volunteer to work with us to win in 2024
Become a Precinct Committeeperson
Visit Pima County Democratic Party website for training videos and more information.
What is a Precinct Committeeperson?
A PC (Precinct Committeeperson) is the connection from neighborhoods to the Democratic Party.
- You provide a voice for the concerns and opinions of your neighbors and establish local connections and trust.
- You are a community of people who work together to share ideas and values.
- You are committed to taking action to shape a strong and viable Democratic Party.
- You work for progress, diversity and change.
The work of a PC is to elect effective Democratic leaders by:
- Registering and encouraging people to vote for Democrats and Democratic values
- Organizing GOTV (Get Out the Vote) activities
- Educating others about Democratic values
- Recruiting more PCs
- Supporting Democratic candidates
PCs participate in activities to elect Democratic leaders by:
- Phone Banking
- Gathering petition signatures
- Attending Democratic Party events
- Attending monthly LD17 meetings
- Participating in LD17 committees
- Sharing your specialized skills
- Getting to know the candidates at our meetings and other events
- Being informed about the issues and represent our party to your friends and neighbors
- Attend rallies/events for issues that concern you
- Write letters to the editor
- Host house parties for candidates
- Help with fundraising activities
How do I become a PC?
You must be a registered Democrat within Pima County. If you are not currently a registered Democrat, you can update your voter registration online.
A Precinct Committeeperson can be an elected or appointed position.
Elections happen every even year in August. Come to an LD17 meeting by signing up here and tell Larry Waggoner, the Committee Chair, you would like to become a PC. You will need to gain ten signatures to appear on the ballot. If fewer or equal names are put on the ballot to slots in the Precinct, you will become an Elected PC. Otherwise, there will be a vote.
For PC Appointments:
You can attend an LD17 meeting or contact Larry Waggoner to let him know you would like to become a PC. He will send you the forms and once the county processes the paperwork, you will become an Appointed PC.
Are there any trainings or resources which will help me be a better PC?
What is the VAN and who is eligible to use it?
The VAN is the Voter Activation Network, a database used to track voter information that is then used to target voters. Volunteers use lists from the VAN to canvass, call or text voters in their neighborhood or precinct.
What if my question wasn’t answered here?
Come to an LD 17 meeting and ask your questions!
Harry Truman once said, “The most important job I ever held was Precinct Captain.”